If you have been reading along as we celebrate our 100th anniversary, you know we have spent several recent blog posts highlighting trend-making beverage concepts developed in the Edlong Applications lab. The link between all of these beverage concepts is that they have been healthy, full of flavor and on trend. Before the recipe creating started, we reached out to consumers to better understand their attitudes and preferences for healthy beverages.
Here’s what we did:
We commissioned a proprietary study with the Natural Marketing Institute of 800 consumers who classified themselves as healthy beverage drinkers. This consumer group was further divided into consumers of 8 different healthy beverage categories including:
- Dairy based meal replacement
- Dairy based energy sports drink
- RTD Drinkable Yogurt
- Non-Dairy Alternative Beverage
- RTD Smoothie
- RTD Tea
- RTD Coffee
- Non-Dairy Based Energy/Sports Drink
Then we asked them various questions to understand attitudes around healthy beverages and specific attributes such as taste, mouthfeel, texture, etc.…
Here’s What We Learned:
- First, Almost all (80%) of all healthy beverage users want their healthy beverages to contain natural flavors.
- 69% believe healthy beverages can be used to get their daily vitamin/nutrient requirements. And they prefer:
- a short list of ingredients
- beverages that the whole family can enjoy
- no/low sugar
- no artificial sweeteners
- And, aftertaste, clean finish, bitterness and chalkiness are generally areas where most health beverage categories could be improved.
Here’s What It Means
Whether it’s a smoothie, shake, dairy based meal replacement or any other type of healthy beverage, we have learned, at the end of the day, what matters most is GREAT TASTE.
We’re here to tell you that you don’t have to sacrifice one or the other. You can have great taste and health with low bitterness, aftertaste and a clean finish. Edlong natural dairy and non-dairy flavors offer solutions to give your consumers the taste they want, no matter their healthy beverage of choice.